- This event has passed.
Kim John Payne, Author of “Simplicity Parenting” Coming to Tucson March 31st | Lecture & Mini-Workshop
March 31, 2019 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Tucson Waldorf School’s Treasuring Childhood Film & Lecture Series is thrilled to be bringing Kim John Payne, noted author of Simplicity Parenting, to Tucson for a one-time lecture. The event will be held at Sea of Glass Center for The Arts at 330 East 7th Street on Sunday, March 31, 2019, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The lecture is free and open to the public by RSVP to TreasuringChildh[email protected]
RSVP is required as space for the event is limited. Adults only please, infants-in-arms are welcomed. Download the event flyer to share with friends and family.
HOW TO HAVE DEVICES NOT BE DIVISIVE FOR OUR FAMILY
Not Anti Screen but Pro Connection to Nature and People
- How to maintain loving limits, warm, firm and calm discipline and strong family connections in a world where increasingly “screens are supreme”
- How to build focus, grit and good judgment so that our kids do not become overwhelmed with media-driven images but can shape their own self- esteem, hopes, and dreams.
- How to encourage respect when negative images of adults pervade pop culture.
- Fitting in with friends. “Won’t my kids be disadvantaged if I limit screen media?”
- Aloneness vs. Loneliness. Helping kids know the difference.
- The alluring world of no boundaries that screen use develops and how this makes discipline and guidance difficult.
- Virtuous VS. Virtual. Building real and enduring relationships with people who will “be there” for you when times get tough.
“I am not negatively anti screen for kids, but passionately pro connection. Connection to the things that matter like the natural world, friends, play, family and to their own beautiful but delicate emerging values. Screens interrupt these crucial connections and that has got to be suspicious.” Kim John Payne.
A consultant and trainer to over 230 U.S. independent and public schools, Kim John Payne, M.ED, has been a school counselor, adult educator, consultant, researcher, educator and a private family counselor for twenty-seven years.
In addition to authoring the #1 Best Seller Simplicity Parenting ©. Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier and More Secure Kid, published by Random House Penguin in 2009, he also authored The Games Children Play©, (1996) published by Hawthorn Press ,The Soul of Discipline (2015 Random House/Penguin), co-authored Whole Child Sport™ How to Navigate Child & Youth Sports™. and Being At Your best When Your Kids Are At Their Worst (Shambhala Press 2017). His books have been translated into 27 languages.
He has appeared frequently on television including ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox; on the radio with the BBC, Sirius/XM, CBC & NPR and in print including being featured in Time Magazine, Chicago Tribune, Parenting, Mothering, Times Union and the LA Times.
Kim strives to deepen understanding and give practical tools for life that arise out of the burning social issues of our time. He lives on a farm in Ashfield, Massachusetts with his wife and two children. Click here for more bio.
Link to lecture details on Kim John Payne’s website.